Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cows - Orphan's Tragedy (USA 1994)

An Uncle Roddus Album Review


"Cow Island" - 3:08
"Pussy Is a Monarchy" - 3:59
"Orphan's Tragedy" - 3:16
"Allergic to Myself" - 3:08
"Unrefixed" - 1:16
"The Bucket" - 2:30
"Pickled Garbage Soup" - 4:54
"I'm Both" - 3:09
"Witch Hunt" - 3:29
"Taxi" - 2:47
"Baby Love" - 2:26
"My Bob" - 4:04
"Shot Down" - 4:18
"Smell Shelf" - 6:23

Something a little different from my previous review with this slightly offbeat grunge inspired alt rock from this obscure American outfit. The style oozes alt rock but the guitar sound is very rooted in the grunge sound of Mudhoney. "Cow Island is a strong start with good grungy sound. The bands music isn't quite as heavy as a true grunge band although there is some pretty heavy stuff later on in the mix, especially the very Swanns like "Taxi" and this music certainly isn't at all commercial.. An average record overall that doesn't really hit too many highs. The fast punk of "The Bucket" is quite fun and "Pickled Garbage Soup" has a great bass groove and a bit more experimental sound to help add a bit more variety to the mix. Although I haven't given this album a lot of attention because  I didn't think  it would add up to much, as I review it now I find it more interesting and better than I had given it credit. Not a classic but a worthwhile effort and worthy of a Roddus Rating of 3/5. 

Check it out here

No comments: