Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Public Image Ltd - Second Edition/Metal Box (UK 1979)

An Uncle Roddus Album review






I thought I might give this one a quick review in light of the recent reissue of most of P.I.L's back catalogue of which I spotted a review in my last issue of Uncut Magazine. I was first attracted to P.I.L purely on the fact that it was Johnny Rottens' band. I had heard most of their first few albums but had not ever owned a copy of this one. Some of this post punk, funky, dubby alternative music was already familiar to me from several tracks being on the live "Paris au Printemps" album I had on vinyl. Fuelled along by Jah Wobbles' deep bass lines and Keith Levenes' screechy guitar, this lot sometimes sounds like a bit of a jam session, especially on the extended "Albatross". A good album with plenty of cool songs and contrary to the avant-garde tag I keep reading about this album, plenty of melody, especially from Wobbles' bass. Rottens'  monotone robotic narratives can get a bit tedious in places and so too the music on this 60 minute set. A bit over rated overall but worthy of a Roddus rating of 3.5/5

No comments: