Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Sunday, August 25, 2002

Mt Oxford 25th August 2002

Uncle Roddus Tramping diary: Tramp No. 7
Mt Oxford 25th August 2002
This wasn't the first time I had been up Mt Oxford. I had done it earlier as part of a community walking day someone organised and it certainly wasn't the last trip up my nearest mountain. I did this trip solo and left coopers creek car park at 8:10am on a clear but brisk morning. Oxford is a good climb through regenerating Beech and then up an exposed ridge, with a height gain of about 900m. The recommended time to the summit is 4 hours but I managed it in 2 and 1/2 hours, which is pretty bloody good going considering there was still a fair amount of snow on the upper reaches of the mountain. I followed some animal tracks in the snow for some distance up hill, probably a Hare or Possum. The views of Canterbury from the summit are excellent and I never tire of them. After 20 minutes on the top and a bite to eat, I headed back down to the car and made it in 1 hour 40 minutes. I bet I couldn't do that now.
This was the first in a brace of tramps I did in the following weeks around the local Canterbury foothills.

No comments: