Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Friday, March 30, 2012

U2 - The Joshua Tree (UK 1987)

An Uncle Roddus Album review



This is another of those records that I read about in Uncut magazine that was produced by Daniel Lanois. Sometimes you put a record on and it is just the right one for that moment and you just totally connect with it. This afternoon, as I was packing to go tramping tomorrow, and Mrs Roddus wasn't home, I put this on up loud on the Cyrus and was surprises buy how much I really enjoyed it even more than usual. I hadn't listened to this album for quite a while. I have most of U2's output and was a big fan initially before drifting away as they got bigger and bigger. Later I repurchased all the earlier ones I knew and also caught up with the later CDs as I was in a better position to enjoy their music. This was, apparently, the album that shot U2 into the stratosphere of fame and fortune, propelling them greatly towards being the biggest band on the planet. And deservedly so. This album kicks of with an awesome trio of fantastic songs that form part of the fabric of modern rock and which we all know so well. The fade in of the Edges treated guitar on the first track is fantastic and is the perfect intro to what is one of the greatest albums in popular music. I don't need to say much about this music, we all know it and many more qualified reviewers have said much more interesting things about it than I could, but I just have to say that I love this album more now than I ever have and I can emphatically give it 5/5.

No comments: