Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Sunday, October 26, 2003

Queen Charlotte Track 26th October 2003

Uncle Roddus Tramping diary:Tramp No. 28
Queen Charlotte Track 26th October 2003
Was up visiting my Sisters and Mother, who were all living in Renwick and Blenheim at this time and decided to do a big day walk along the easy Queen Charlotte Track. Intention was to leave Anakiwa at sunup and try to cover 40KM to Keneperu Saddle and get picked up by my brother-in-law, Pete. I was late getting away, as I set my alarm wrong, but was on the track by 7:20am, loaded with Red Bull and plenty of lunch. Got to my first rest stop at the road intersection above Onahau bay at 9:30am after travelling 10.3KM and rested for 30 minutes. Started off again at 10:00am heading for my next stop at Torea Saddle, just under 7KM  in 1.75 hours with a bit of height gained on this section. things slowed down now with another climb up from Torea saddle and then another rest and some food at Black Rock Shelter. After this stop, I knew I wouldn't make it to my destination, but knew i could drop back down to the road from above Ruakaka bay. Got to the drop off point at 3PM after another 9.8KM from Torea saddle and rested for about an hour as Pete wasn't due for some time yet. Took about 20 minutes to drop down the very steep track to the road and started walking along the road as Pete still wasn't due for a while. Fortunately he was early and picked me up around 30 minutes after hitting the road. All up, ended walking about 30KM. According to my diary, I did take some photos on this trip, but I cant find them.


No comments: