Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Saturday, May 15, 2021

Les Baxters Album Release show - Space Academy - Christchurch - 14 May 2021

 


Been a while since I went out to see some live music but I thought It would be good to go check out Les Baxters again for the release party of their eponymous debut LP and probably their only record. The four piece is made up of long serving local musicians some of whom I have seen play in other groups over recent years. The record has been a long time in the making but is is good that it has finally seen the light of day, although I understand the group has actually called it a day as of 2019 and this was a reunion for the record release.

I arrived soon after door open and was pleased to meet Reagan on the door, the man who runs the record label(Cocomuse) that is releasing the Les Baxters record. We chatted a while and I soon moved off to find a drink and leave him to man the door.

The place filled up quickly as the first act took the stage soon after 9pm. This was a solo sound art set from a guy using the moniker IRD. I was unfamiliar with this, but he was familiar to me by sight from having seen him at gigs around town and I think playing in some band or another I have seen( I don't know his name). Anyhow his set was an interesting piece of sound art involving him manipulating an old turntable and various bits of plastic, wood, paper and other miscellaneous items and some electronics as his canvas. It was an enjoyable piece.

Next up was Motte, whom I hadn't seen play since she came back from Wellington last year I believe. For this set, she set up a lot more electronic beats as she played and looped her violin over the top. I am guessing this is all recent compositions and  I understand she has recordings in the bag ready for some future release. She also did some lovely vocals on this set which I enjoyed a lot..

The place was pretty much full for this nights entertainment as Les Baxrters set themselves behind their desk of equipment. This was something like the fourth time I had seen them play and all the other times they had been supporting other acts I had come to see, so this was the first time I had seen them as the main attraction and actually given them my full attention. It was a great set and I finally got a far better appreciation of what they do. The early Cabaret Voltaire influence was very noticeable to me this time, especially in the electronic back beats they used. The organ and Theremin overlaying the backbeat fills out the sound, with other recorded sounds getting inserted and manipulated to make a very interesting sonic pallet. It was the best set I had seem them play helped along with recognition of several of their songs now that I had seen them several times. I look forward to playing their record when it arrives in the post this week.

No comments: