Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Sunday, September 15, 2002

Mt Grey 15th September 2002

Uncle Roddus Tramping diary: Tramp No.10
Mt Grey 15th September 2002
Yet another of the local foot hills on yet another perfect spring day, for the last of my solo trips bagging the 4 near tops. Left the Grey picnic area on Okuku rd around 10AM and headed up the Red Beech track following the Grey River untill crossing it by the Scott's Rd track junction before heading up the ridge to take me the back route onto Mt Grey. A nice track with some excellent views of the area behind Grey nearer the top. reached the summit in 2 & 3/4 hours and had lunch in the perfect conditions  with great views of the Canterbury plains. I had mucked around on Mt Gray a few times in my younger days, mainly coming up from lake Janet, so I had never done the loop. The last time I had been up there was after the big snow of 92' when the snow was waste deep and it was hard going and we didn't make it to the top. After lunch I headed down the Grey track, a very winding track through lovely forest and reached the car in 1 hour 20 minutes. My diary states it was an inspiring walk.

No comments: