Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Monks - Black Monk Time (USA/Germany 1966)

Roddus album Of The Day



My first introduction to the legendary Monks was via one of my many 60s garage compilations and their song "Complication", next to The Litter's "Action Woman" absolutely the greatest mother of a Garage/Punk song ever produced. The distorted guitar shredding intro alone is enough to give my ears an orgasm.
 It wasn't until fairly recently that I discovered their totally brilliant and fantastic debut(and only studio)album"Black Monk Time"after I read about it in "1001 Records You Must Hear Before You Die".The brilliance of this album just doesn't let up, not a weak song here and there is just nothing at all like this anywhere. Each track follows a variation of the unusual rhythmic style The Monks employ to give the album a cohesiveness of style and they also manage to keep it thrilling throughout. Catapulted almost to the very top of my all time favorite albums, the greatest 60s LP next to The Mothers Of Invention's "Freak Out", this stunner is required listening for any 60s music fan.Don't miss it.Rating 5+/5.
Get into it here

No comments: