Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Saturday, October 12, 2019

Mermaidens - The Darkroom - Christchurch - 11 October 2019


The Mermaidens just got back from touring Europe and this was the first night on their album release tour of the four main centers of their home country. The new album, "Look Me In The Eye" has been on high rotation at my place and I think it could be a strong contender for my NZ record of the year, just like their last one.
 I am still surprised how a band as good as The Mermaidens(perhaps one of the best indi bands in NZ and on the premier NZ record label, Flying Nun) is still only playing tiny venues like the Darkroom, which although it was pretty full, was not packed to capacity as far as I could see.
  Support band this night was Kool Aid(formally Brian Tamaki and the Kool Aid Kids) a local indie band with three guitars bass and drums. I had seen them before(under their old moniker) but I think I enjoyed their set a lot more this time. The sound was really good tonight, with five of them playing it was not too overcrowded sounding which I think I found last time I saw them. They have some great catchy songs and nice guitar hooks that kept my foot tapping throughout. Most enjoyable.
  The three piece Mermaidens hit the stage at around 10:30pm. Guitarist Gussie Larkin and bass player Lily Paris West both had bright red dresses, on kinda matching the colour of the new albums cover. I had first seen them in Dunedin a couple of years back before I had heard their music and at that gig, although enjoyable enough, was not one that stuck in my memory as great. Since then, I have got much more familiar with their music and very impressed with their recorded output. They have also done a lot more international touring since I last saw them. This time was much better, Gussie has a fabulous voice and her singing is getting stronger and although Lily sings a fair portion of their songs also and is a fine singer, I found myself concentrating on Gussie's vocal performance more and I was very impressed with the power of this tiny woman's voice. The sound was pretty loud but not too muddy this night although Lily's bass was a little distorted but she plays some great bass lines supporting Gussie's great guitar which she can shred bloody well at intense moments in their songs, especially on about the third song they played I think it was. Really enjoyed them much more than the first time. Great night of music.




No comments: