Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mt Oxford 25th October 2010



Uncle Roddus Tramping diary: Tramp No. 92
Mt Oxford 25th October 2010 



Well after a pretty lousy winter weather wise as well as a very busy one with work and other things, I have finally got back out for some tramping this Labour Day holiday. Just did the Mt Oxford loop track again, as it is right on my backdoor step and is a good moderate day to get an idea of fitness levels after the winters tramping inactivity. The Day was fine with high cloud and a moderate breeze as Bruce & I headed off around 9:00 am for our days adventure. Bruce and I had done this same trip this time last year and I have been up Mt Oxford about 6 or 7 times now. The day went well with the sun appearing from the cloud cover late morning and the wind also dropped as we approached the summit just before midday. A leisurely 40 minute lunch was masticated after the photo shoot as we enjoyed the great views of the Canterbury plains and then we set off down the west side of the mount for the round trip back to the car.My new walking poles proved to be a real bonus for tramping with and my legs feel a lot better for them at the end of the day. We got back to the car around 4:30pm after 7 &1/2 hours and around 20KM with about 700m height gain.

 Trying out my new walking poles
 A nice climb
 Bruce with the port hills in the distance
 It was a bit windy along this part.
 The Summit
 Looking west

 The last of the winters snow
 I love this part of the track with the moss covered trees
 Are we there yet
 No, not yet.

No comments: