Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Friday, October 29, 2010

Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Ragged Glory (USA 1990)

Roddus Album Of The Day



This little baby has been sitting here ready to review for several months, but got put on hold as I got so busy lately with other things and so I thought I had better deal with it now and get it out of my draft folder. Ragged Glory is the third in a trio of excellent albums Neil released at the end of the 80's marking a serious comeback to form. It was about this time that I really started to discover his earlier music, as I wasn't at all interested in him in my earlier Punk days and because of that disinterest I missed seeing him play here in 1984.
This excellent quality digital recording done with his rockin' band Crazy horse, certainly rocks out in most of the songs here and there is a consistent quality across this whole album. Farmer John is a great cover of an older song that I am familiar with but Neils version has become the most familiar to me. Songs like the most excellent "Love & only love" reminds me of Pearl Jam, who were just starting out at this time."f**king Up" is also a timeless classic. Pretty much vintage young throughout except one small criticism with the early digital production making the sound of the music sound a little  sterile or processed. Overtly polished May be a more apt description. So my rating is 4.5/5.

3 comments:

Klemen Breznikar said...

This is one of the best albums ever.

Roddus said...

Glad you think so Iban. I actually prefer the previous album Freedom.

Elliot Knapp said...

Awesome NY album, I just reviewed this one too on my music blog. I still need to check out Freedom--thanks for reminding me!