Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Saturday, September 10, 2011

VA - The Danque!! - A Compilation Of West African Funk (Afrodisiac 2003)

An Uncle Roddus Album Review



Yet another Afrofunk Comp recently arrived from Amazon and one which I had found on some blog a while back. When I first found this particular comp(and another which I have yet to obtain on CD) I thought they were actually original collections from the actual time at which the music herein was originally recorded. I now know that this is a more contemporary release and judging from the packaging and lack of liner notes and band information, a budget release as well. Although not quite of the awesomely high standard  as the Strut and Soundways releases, this is still a very very good collection of Afrofunky groovieness. Definitely a bit more heavy on the funk angle with the African influences a little more subtle but still discernible to give the music that exotic feel.
I don't have too much else to say in detail about all these African compilations I am collecting except that all the ones I have so far are bursting at the seams with fantastic music, toe tappingly groovie with excellent vocal melodies to equal any classic western Pop and also loaded with brilliant funky jazzy brass instrumentation. I just love this music.
Overall, this compilation pretty well keeps up that standard and has no really weak tracks, and so will get a Roddus Rating of 4/5

No comments: