Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Alvin Curran - Animal Behaviour (Tzadik 1995)

More From Tzadik.





I decided to have a look at the releases from Tzadik at the other end of the time line from the recent issues that have been arriving in my mail box. I have purchased the first release in each of the series issued by Tzadik and this one by Alvin Curran was the very first in the composer series back when the label first started in 1995.
Consisting of just two extended pieces, the title track is an 18 minute sound collage not unlike The Beatles "Revolution No.9" from The White Album. An interesting piece with some interesting sound effects. Not easy listening and it seemed to drive the dog from the room at moderate volume. Still, I think he pulled it of pretty well and it is not at all unpleasant for something like that. The second piece has a more classical feel and some actual musicians playing actual instruments. A slow atmospheric piece with lots of avant garde tinkering throughout, again not at all unpleasant but difficult to stay focused on throughout its 30 odd minutes.
Overall I'd rate this release 3/5.

No comments: