Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

The Spines - Idiot Sun - Flying Nun Records FN072 - New Zealand 1986





The Spines were a band of whom I was familiar with their name and remember seeing their records around back in the day but didn't actually get round to checking out their music, much to my regret. As I am rediscovering New Zealand music now, I found I was familiar with at least one of their earlier songs from back in the day but the rest of their music was unknown to me.
 That changed recently with exposure to a couple of their songs that turned up on a compilation I acquired as well as additional exposure via a New Zealand Music podcast I listen to frequently., so I was keen to pick up a copy of this record when it came up for sale via a seller in a Facebook Group I am a member of.
 Idiot Sun was their third and last album but their first on Flying Nun. The music is a sort of alternative experimental pop, well recorded, easy to hear everything that's going on in the recording, and not hiding behind layers of effects and distortion like so much rock music. The songs are just wonderful and quirky, very well constructed and occasionally fleshed out with some cool sax over the Bass, Drums and Guitar. They certainly had a unique sound of their own and I have totally fallen for this record and it's idiosyncrasies to the point that it is now firmly cemented in my all time NZ Top Ten. Rating 5/5.

No comments: