Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Gloria Coates - At Midnight (Tzadik 2013)

More from Tzadik.




Another recent arrival in the Tzadik Composer series. Gloria Coates has been composing for over 50 years and has written 17 symphonies and yet is not mentioned in my "Penguin guide to Recorded Classical Music,2008". None of the composers I have so far explored on Tzadik appear in that tome, but reading her bio and listening to this music, it appears she is quite a major player in contemporary Classical music. This set of compositions covers quite a time line, from 1962 to 2008 and I am quite stunned by the awesome quality of this music. It is quite powerful, impressive and very expressive and I have connected with it in a big way, which is something I don't usually do with this sort of music.
Not exactly flowing with Melody but not all chaotic dissonance either, not as avant-garde as a couple of the other composers I have heard so far in this series. Highly recommended and get my rating of 5/5. 

No comments: