Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Monday, October 26, 2020

Dick Move - Darkroom, Christchurch - 25 October 2020



Last night of the trifecta of gigs on this holiday weekend. Dick Move's first album had just arrived on my doorstep at the start of the week and I was pretty impressed with the trashy melodic punk they played on a well produced but very short album.

 Arrived at Darkroom just a few minutes before the first band, Pretty Dumb, hit the stage. A  very young three piece playing a nice brand of hard rock sort of music, they were very proficient and had some great songs and I really enjoyed their set and their chops.

The next band were called Marsha and their Facebook profile said Post Punk, but I thought they were more indie rock. They also had some nice licks but actually their music didn't much capture my interest, so I took the opportunity to sit down around the corner from the stage area on the comfy sofa until Dick Move came on. 

Dick Move squeezed their five selves onto the tiny stage, but the singer spent quite a lot of the time singing down in the audience. She is another full on lead singer who reminded me of the Contenders singer I saw on Saturday night and also Annabel Liddell from Miss June, they all dress similar and have similar performance attitudes. The band played hard and fast and like the album , the set was over in short time. A five piece creates a lot of noise live and this they certainly did and it was a great set but after the massive build up I got from talking with one of the local punk musicians at Punk fest about Dick Move's set on Friday night, I was somewhat let down, the intensity of their set didn't quite meet my expectations  that had been built right up and they didn't quite reach that magical apex that live performances sometimes exude. Still, a great band and great gig.





No comments: