Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Sunday, October 25, 2020

Ōtautahi Never Mind the Punkfest 2020 - Saturday Night session 24th October 2020

 


My noisy holiday weekend continues with my attendance of the Saturday night session of the Nevermind The Punkfest gig.  26 bands spread over 4 sessions across three days at Christchurch's punk HQ, The Embankment  Tavern. I had attended my first  local punk gig earlier in the year soon after the ending of the first COVID lock down , that gig was mostly Christchurch bands, this festival drew bands from all over the country, especially the North Island. Like the last gig the place was pretty much a full house and many of the young ones were in full 80's punk regalia and hairsets.

First up was Nervous Jerk, who I have seen several times over the last few years, they turn up at many of these multi band gigs locally. Their fast paced melodic American style punk is great live and I loved their set again, familiar with several of their songs now especially from the record they released.

Next up was a bit of a surprise. Unruly, from Wellington, I was familiar with in a slight way, but didn't register their name until I checked online after their set. They had a record out that I had very briefly checked out and quickly dismissed and forgotten about. This three piece played a super slow doomy sludge rock that really blurs the boundary between Punk and Metal. It was really low end heavy and so slow, I thought the notes were gonna drop to the floor. I was rather impressed and went and bought a copy of their album.

Things went in the opposite direction with the next band, Pop OD. Very fast melodic punk again in the American Hardcore style, they even played a Husker Du song. Apparently only their second gig. Really good.

Next was one of the two bands that I had really come to see this night. Contenders from Hamilton. I had heard a couple of their songs on The Counting The Beat podcast a while back and was so  impressed that I bought a copy of the 7 inch record they released( I don't usually go for 7 inch records). They actually looked pretty straight as they hit the stage and ripped into their HI- NRG Rock N' Roll. Their female singer was probably the best vocalist of the night and she really makes her present felt by getting really close to the audience and standing on the rail in front of the stage and hanging from the scaffold while singing. They appeared to stretch the songs out a bit more in the live setting than on the record but I recognized several of their songs and they played a blistering set.

Rodgernomix were the next band that I was particularly interested in seeing, Not too familiar with their music but I had heard some on Counting the Beat and they were a favorite of Chris, the Counting The Beat DJ. Another four piece with the Bass player from Unruly and another band with a female singer. This Wellington band have been around now for over a decade and they played a full on thrashy screamy brand of  punk. another enjoyable set.

Finally, for me, was Carradine Choke, who appear to be the leading band in the Christchurch punk scene, and it certainly showed with the mosh pit heaving more than for any other band of the night. They played Crass meets Dead Kennedys punk. There was another band on the bill for the night but I had had my fill by 11:30 when Carradine Choke finished and I still had an hours drive home. Overall a great night with every band I saw impressing 


No comments: