Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Saturday, October 17, 2020

The Beths - James Hay Theater - Christchurch - 16 October 2020

 



Almost didn't go to this. Had been procrastinating on buying tickets and honestly, the new album was nowhere near as good as the first in my opinion, it is good but it really didn't have the same spark of their debut and not so many hooks as well. I had tried to get a ticket for the GA section a couple of days earlier but the UTR web site had cocked up and actually had none of their allocated left so refunded my purchase. The only tickets left available were the top level seats. So I still hedged on going until I got home form work on Friday evening checked the availability of tickets and as there was not much else going on, decided to go.

The ticket said 8pm, I assumed that was door opening. I duly arrived at about 2 minutes past 8 and took my seat as the lights dimmed and the support act arrived onstage. I had tried to discover who the first act was by perusing the ticket sites but no mention was made of a support act. This was a three piece with two keyboards and the singer with acoustic guitar. I  Though recognized the singers voice as they got into the first song but I missed their name as the singer mumbled their introduction after the first song. Eventually, they played a song I knew quite well, and it was one I didn't particularly like but it fell into place who they were. Pickle Darling were slightly familiar to me from the aforementioned track and it was my dislike of that track that stopped me from exploring their music further and honestly although I did not mind their 30 minute set of electro pop, it still did not inspire me to buy their record.

There was about a 40 minute break between bands, to allow the punters to spend up at the bar ready for The Beths set.  They sauntered onstage just past 9pm and started in on some high energy songs from their first record. I had seen several acts at the James Hay Theater over the years and the sound had usually been pretty good, this time it was a little rough and there was a  bit of bottom end booming and room echo. Looking at the speakers, I suspect it was perhaps more to do with my seating position than bad mixing, although the sound did improve as the gig went on. The band were in good form and full of energy and banter as they ripped through a considerable number of the tracks off the first album and several of the new ones as you would expect. They were tight and the lead guitarist was excellent  and I got more and more into it as the gig went on. I think they were better then the last time I saw them at a much smaller venue. The audience was really getting into the gig and it was a pretty raucous demand for an encore, which the band duly obliged, with two more songs. Really glad I did finally decide to go.

No comments: