Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technican USA 1987

An Uncle Roddus Album Review

 
If ever there was an album that the squares could use as a prime example of  the devils inspiration in Rock music, then this bizarre record could be it. I was an avid NME reader back when this came out and after reading some articles and reviews about this band and this record I thought I would give it a go and duly purchased myself a vinyl copy. On first few listens I truly thought this was the end of Rock n Roll and music had truly gone to hell, literally.
 I obviously didn't hate it because I stuck with it, being the most totally weirdest music(if you could call it that) I had ever heard up to that point. I guess I was intrigued by it and it was a genuinely new listening experience. After a while I got to know it better and it soon became one of my most favorite records. It truly was outstanding and amazing and totally unique to me at that time. I have been thinking about reviewing this for a while but have been too afraid to venture back into its sonic wastelands and I had long ago sold the vinyl copy and never replaced it on CD. I am now listening to a digital copy I found some time ago and initially I started to feel that it had dated a bit, but as I listen, the full power of the music still impresses me and blows my mind. Quite possible the most LSD drenched music ever spewed out of the bizarre minds of those that created it.
 I can't even begin to describe the music here but there is the obvious Black Sabbath influence with the bludgeoning guitars and the evil sounding atmosphere, experimental with a bit of Prog thrown in as well, and that's just the first track,things get weirder from there, but it's best to check out this masterpiece for your self. Play loud, your mother will hate it. Rating 5+/5

 Have a listen HERE

No comments: