Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Kings Of Leon - Come Around Sundown USA 2010

An Uncle Roddus Album Review





I didn't know that one of my favorite contemporary rock groups had released a new album late in 2010 until I unwrapped it on Xmas day along with the very cool KOL coffee mug that I was given. I was a bit nervous about this new disc since the enormous success of their last album "Only By Night," with my least favorite KOL song 'the pompous "Sex On Fire".  As much as I enjoyed "Only By Night" , I was disappointed with it compared with how awesome the first three are. This album continues on with the more commercial sound of it's predecessor with its full and bombastic stadium rock sound and I would compare it with latter day Red Hot Chilli Peppers for its production and its stylistic approach.. "Come  Around Sundown" is still the sound of KOL and is totally recognisable as such as well as the fact that all their albums grow om me as I get more familiar with the songs and this is no exception. An overall enjoyable album and a supremely confident sounding group at the height of their success will make this a successful album. Not much stands out in the context of the record as a whole but neither are there any weak songs. This music also works well both as quietly played atmospheric background music to impress friends as well as turned up loud to rock out to its full depth of sound, I know that sounds strange but it works both of those ways for me, which is rare for a rock album. A Roddus rating of 3.5/5.

No comments: