Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Uncut Magazine Take 181 June 2012

Uncut Take 181 June 2012

The latest Uncut to arrive last week and I have dug out from my collection the following artists for consideration this month, as well as several new releases I will be checking out to see if I will be adding them to my purchase list. Quite a big list this issue with: ACDC, Beach House, Best Coast, Comus, Father John Misty, Get The Blessing, The Gossip, Husker Du, My Bloody Valentine, New Order, Nuggets Vol 1, Paul McCartney, Public Image Ltd,  Quantic & Alice Russell, Rufus Wainwright, Sharon Van Etten, The Small Faces, Squarepusher, Starving Weirdos, Sweet Billy Pilgrim, Tangerine Dream, Terry Riley, The Adverts, The Birthday Party, The DB's, The Good The Bad and The Queen, The Travelling Wilburys, Tu Fawning and Willie Nelson. It would be very nice to find a new release as good as The Alabama Shakes from last month.

 I'm just revisiting this latest Uncut CD after having it on the ipod for most of last week. As usual this is a quality playlist which sounds good playing along while I work or read or whatever, but as I said, after a week on the ipod I find that there is really nothing here which stands out and knocks me off my feet and makes me want to rush out and buy. Perhaps the tracks that capture my attention the most would be "Mercy" by Hans Chew, which is a good rockin' retro 70s southern rock track and The Men with "Oscillation" which pulled me in with its extended guitar break going for gold. The Dr John song I already have after purchasing his new album recently and it is not the best track off it.
The Dawes song is also a quality number with a great vocal that I dig but as I mentioned in another post their album was somewhat disappointing. So again I say, overall an enjoyable set with out any bad songs, but nothing that I'm gonna rush out and buy although I have several of these artists new albums lined up ready for a quick review. Rating 3/5.







AC/DC - Highway To Hell (Australia 1979)
On the back page of each issue someone of importance in the music biz highlights several albums of importance to him or her and this month was Greg Dulli of the Afghan Wigs and this album was picked as Bon Scott is his favourite Rock N' Roll singer.
Bon's last album before his untimely death in 1980 and this album is a total classic of basic balls out Rock. No one does it better than AC/DC, packed to the rafters with awesome guitar riffs and brilliant solos from Angus. Every song is a classic with Bon tearing the place apart with a bunch of all time great Rock vocals. This CD version I have is a 2003 reissue and the sound is outstanding cranked up loud on the Cyrus. 
It's bloody hard to pick highlights on such an amazing set but "A Touch To Much" certainly stands out and the Buzzsaw "Beating around the Bush" is just sublime. "Night Prowler" is just plain evil and a hell of a way to end such a great album. Perhaps the greatest hard rock album ever.Rating 5+/5. 


Beach House - Bloom (USA 2012
After several days hearing this on the ipod at work I can safely say that this dreamy chamber pop is not my thing. Rated 8/10 and given a full page review in this issue prompted me to check it out and although is is a well recorded and constructed set of quality indie pop songs it also all sounds a bit samey and uninspiring. There is so much of this sort of music around nowadays and it takes something special to stand out from the crowd, which for me, these guys don't do. My rating 2.5/5.

No comments: