Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Esther Smith - Gye No Di (Ghana 2002)

An Uncle Roddus Album Review
African Music Month


I thought I better review this tape to show that not all African music is worth all the gushing praise I have been laying on it lately.I hadn't really got to concentrate on listening to anything in particular at work today as it was a fairly hectic day but this caught my attention late this afternoon on the new 160G Ipod Classic, as I had loaded a whole folder of African stuff downloaded from Awesome Tapes from Africa Blog some time ago. The reason this caught my attention was because it is so totally bloody awful. Ok, so first it probably doesn't help that this was ripped from a cassette and judging by the quality, a well played tape, but that still doesn't take any thing away from just how turgid this Ghanaian commercial gospel pop actually is. According to Awesome tapes blog, this was huge in Ghana and was plastered all over the radio constantly. It is just so typical the world over that a country that has produced so much fantastic music would instead plaster this dribble all over the airwaves. Of course as you listen it, it is not hard to picture this puking out of some cheap transistor radio in some local Ghanaian market. I don't usually go down so hard on any type of music but considering this is suppose to be music of faith to Jesus and God or whatever, I find it quite soulless and passionless and sounds very processed and insipid. Rating 0/5

If you wish to torture your ears, listen Here although I would rather listen to ABBA, it's that bad.

No comments: