Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fela Ransome-Kuti and The Africa 70 - Why Black Man Dey Suffer (Nigeria 1971)

An Uncle Roddus Album Review


[A] Why Black Man Dey Suffer
[B] Ikoyi Mentality Versus Mushin Mentality
 

Fela Time again with this early Africa 70 recording from 1971, although EMI apparently refused to release it , so it didn't see the light of day until a few years later. Just two extended Afro Jams here, which became the norm for Fela albums. I am not too familiar with either tracks on this LP and this is the first time I have really sat and listened to it since I obtained the Box set last Xmas. Good tracks, with some nice blowing from various brass instruments and some good organ lines happening too, but overall these two don't really grab me like some of Fela's other stuff. The title track is quite a slow jam and I prefer "Ikoyi Mentality Versus Mushin Mentality" for its better groove and more enjoyable Horn melodies. There is so much better to come from this master, but this is a good start. Rating 3.5/5

Have a listen Here

No comments: