Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Friday, October 26, 2012

VA - Time to Go The Southern Psychedelic Moment 1981-86 (New Zealand 2012)

Uncle Roddus Album Of The Day



I spotted this online recently and thought I had best check it out as I knew most of the groups on it and have enjoyed plenty of classic Flying Nun music over the years, although I don't have as much of it in my collection as I should. Many of the best Nun bands are represented on this double set but most of the songs are  unfamiliar to me, not being their most well known songs that I know from listening to student radio in my younger days. That makes this less appealing than some of the other Flying Nun Compilations which are great Kiwi music nostalgia trips and at times the kiwi accent doesn't sit so well for me in the vocal department, This particular scene through up some great musicians and song writers but not to too many great singers.
That complaint aside, it is great to hear another track from the incredibly rare Playthings again and I so wish some one would get it together to re issue the small amount of music they recorded on CD, I just dig their lo-fi post punk pop. The legendary Gordons are always a highlight on Nun comps, although I already have their first brilliant album of furious anarchic pre-grunge and again wish someone would re-issue their second and last album. The rest of this set is run of the mill Flying Nun which is good, but for me, not essential. Rating 3/5. 

No comments: