Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Friday, June 7, 2013

Elmore James - King Of The Slide Guitar (The Complete Fire And Chief Sessions) 1997

Off The Shelf.



Elmore James, one of the great blues shouters and the king of the slide guitar. Many moons ago I had a compilation of the best of Elmore which I use to listen to regularly as I drifted off to sleep each night. Many of those songs became classic blues songs for me, awesome songs like "Got to Move", It Hurts Me Too", "The Sky Is Crying" and "Cry For Me Baby", just to name a few of my favourites. It is interesting that he is labeled "the King Of The Slide Guitar" on this set as I was always more drawn to the vocal melodies and delivery of those songs, it was powerful stuff. This set has all those great tracks but they sound a bit different to how I remember some of them. The versions I remember may have been recorded for other labels, as was the case a lot back then in the 50's with these blues guys. This set is pretty dam good though and a good budget way to get a substantial portion of his recorded output. Rating 3.5/5.    

No comments: