Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sun Ra - The Antique Blacks (USA 1974)

And More Sun Ra.




This Rockiscord thingy that Ra is playing is quite a weird and primitive sounding and underpins some of the music here. As usual, this is fairly low-fi and loose sounding but intriguing just the same. Ra's declamations remind me a bit of Gil Scott-Heron and his poetry from his first album. Sun Ra is a lot more off center of course. Some interesting psychedelic sounding guitar on some of this and although this sounds like Sun Ra in general, there is something a bit different about this set also that makes it another unique statement from Ra.
Another worthwhile addition to my rapidly growing Sun Ra collection and although I'm not blown away buy this particular set I think it could grow on me with more familiarity.Rating 3/5.

No comments: