Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Friday, June 7, 2013

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (UK 1984)

Off The Shelf.



After getting into their previous album "War" in a big way and getting to see them live in a smallish venue here in 1984, I bought this soon after release, as U2 move on from their earlier style and head for the stadiums. I initially didn't like this album much and the direction their music was taking at the time, I wasn't ready to move on from the cool indie rock of "War" and to me this was a sell out. I stopped listening to their music after this and didn't go to the later Stadium shows the played here in 1989 and 1993.
Towards the end of the nineties, as I was replacing my old vinyl collection to CD I Started getting back into U2 and obtained all their albums on the little plastic discs. I hadn't heard this one for nearly 20 years and I was quite surprised how much more I liked this album this time. There is not much that stands out on this set apart from the big hit "Pride..." but there is a consistently high quality of well crafted Pop/rock songs on offer here which make for a rather good album overall. Not an all time classic like their next album, but I'll rate it 4/5.

No comments: