Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Monday, July 19, 2010

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (UK 1968)

Roddus Album Of The Day

  
I dig Van, I love his voice, I appreciate the quality of his muse and the clarity of his recordings, the power of his voice is phenomenal and he is a gifted composer. This album has been raved about by critics and musicians for over 40 years and I can appreciate the artistic and esoteric quality of these folky/jazzy meanderings and of course Van's singing is excellent, but I find myself  somewhat unmoved by the lack of cohesive melodies here and the songs seem to meander on forever , there is nothing here that you would hear on the radio, "The Way That Young lovers do" comes close but the chaotic base lines don't allow for smooth flow to the song, which applies to pretty much the rest of the album. Defiantly a unique artistic statement and if you could take out the freeform structure underlying these songs and make them a bit more conventional, this album could be far more. My rating 3/5

No comments: