Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Saturday, February 9, 2013

John Zorn - A Vision In Blakelight (USA 2012)

Uncle Roddus CD Of The Week.









Its exciting when I get home from a hard days slaving for "The Man", and find my weekly CD has arrived in the mailbox from Amazon. More John Zorn with is set being another of his 21st century Mysticism series.
This series is showing us a much mellower Zorn as he approaches his 60th year with more laid back contemporary jazz on this set, which is, of course, recorded to the highest standards and played exquisitely.
After thrashing this for the last week I have to say that I am enjoying this even more than "The Concealed". A similar feel to this set although this has a little more variety with some more avant-garde moments, which surprisingly don't detract from the laid back ambience of this record. The playing of Medeski is superb and I especially like his little piano solos on track one. Another mature set from this prolific composer and gets a rating of 4/5.

No comments: