Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Aya Nishina - Flora (Tzadik 2013)

New Arrival from Tzadik Records.




I have heard snippets of some of the releases from John Zorn's Tzadik imprint including the recent purchase of the excellent Jon Madof CD "Zion 80" and I thought I might start building a Tzadik collection. The first couple of CDs arrived this week and  this was the first one into the CD player. What a very pleasant surprise this release is. I am most impressed with the beautiful angelic ambience of the vocal compositions created here by Aya Nishina. One of the composer series of releases, it does have a classical feel but also reminds one of some early Enya and The Cocteau Twins amongst other reference points. A sort of Celtic come spritual come drone, all done with female voices multitracked into something wonderful. This will probably exist in the world mostly unheard but I am thrilled to have it in my collection, something different yet quite wonderful. Highly Recommended and gets a rating of 4.5/5. 

No comments: