Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sun Ra - Secrets of the Sun (USA Prob. 1965)

The Sun Ra Discography.





With Sun Ra CDs arriving in number from all over his vast discography, I kinda got sidetracked from my chronological appraisals of the Albums. So I'm trying to get back on track with this re-issue of an ultra rare session from a 1962 Choreographers Workshop rehearsal in New York. Being so rare, this CD has been remastered from a vinyl copy of the original recording, so the sound quality ain't the best but is certainly good enough not to detract from the music too much. With quite an experimental edge, this set of small combo recordings still has plenty of melody and coherent structure, making for a more easier listening experience than some of the more challenging later recordings. Like most Sun Ra recordings I have experienced so far, the music get better with familiarisation, it usually sounds too loose and chaotic on initial listens, but the complexities reveal themselves with repeated concentrated attention. I am not expressive enough or have enough musical knowledge to describe what is happening on this recording but there is a great description and review over on Nuvoid blog. This set is growing on me and as I am now a dedicated Sun Ra fan, it is mostly unlikely I am gonna give it a bad rating. I think it deserves 3.5/5.

No comments: