Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

John Zorn - Dreamers Christmas (USA 2011)

The John Zorn Discography.





AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Christmas music! Of all the lame and sad elevator music, I detest Christmas music the most, and holy cow, John Zorn has gone and made a Xmas record. I wasn't going to buy this but I trust John and I wanted it for completion purposes. "Christmas Wonderland" is not a good start being an almost vomit inducing piece of smaltz. Fortunately things improve markedly with "Snowfall" a Xmas feely track but with some nice guitar from Ribot to spice it up. The feeling stays the same on the next couple of tracks where we get some mellow laid back Xmassy atmospherics but actually something that is quite listenable. A nice Contemporary Jazz album that is easy on the ear and even Mrs. Roddus enjoyed most of it, and I can even tolerate the Xmas bells.One of the most easy listening records John has ever produced and I won't mind playing it on Christmas day, but not one I will revisit a lot. Rating 3/5.

No comments: