Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Gotan Project - La Revancha Del Tango (France 2003)

Roddus Album Of The Day



01 Queremos Paz
02 Época
03 Chunga's Revenge
04 Tríptico
05 Santa María (Del Buen Ayre)
06 Una Música Brutal
07 El Capitalismo Foráneo
08 Last Tango In Paris
09 La Del Ruso
10 Vuelvo Al Sur 
 Today's selection is brought to you by the letter G and the number 10,000,000. G being the first letter in the phrase" Go jump in the lake", which is what this current Government of New Zealand can do if  they go ahead with their proposals to mine our national parks and drill for oil off our coast among other things they want to do that involve the non renewable exploitation of  our beautiful country and 10,000,000 being the amount of money I would be quite happy to win on the lottery so I didn't have to work to survive and I could spend my time blogging and fighting exploitative governments and corporations.
And today, apart from meeting our Prime Minister at a local opening ceremony I got to listen to this album in patches through the day. Euro ethnic, electro jazz with a Gypsy feel and quite a groove to boot, this hugely successful album has been admired by both myself and Mrs Roddus over the last few years since I picked up the Cd and although I didn't get much of a chance to really connect with it today, listening to it now, sitting in the chair pictured above  while I type and absorbing it through my headphones, reminds me why it is such a good album.Toe tappingly good in places and more laid back in others and pretty exotic to these "Rock N Blues" ears. Well crafted, intricately detailed and very accessible music, the sort of stuff you might find on A "Buddah bar" compilation. My Rating 4/5
Listen Here

1 comment:

copper said...

its tango music, brother- tango. only very elecrtic sounding, as the guys want to modernize the genre. no jazz, no gypsy. just electro tango a few expats from the river plate region of south america who live in paris.

in montevideo, uruguay and buenos aires, argentina we have a slang called lunfardo.
in lunfardo, gotan means tango, like novi means vino (wine). just switching syllables, get it? its a play on words, the groups name.

regardless, the tango sound is strong enougyh that it would be recognizable to someone living during the first world war.