Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Friday, June 4, 2010

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Unbroken Vol. 2 (USA 1989)

Roddus Album Of The Day


1. “Life's Railway to Heaven” – 4:39
2. “Grandpa Was a Carpenter” – 3:24
3. “When I Get My Rewards”– 4:25
4. “Don't You Hear Jerusalem Moan”– 3:56
5. “Little Mountain Church House” – 3:32
6. “And So It Goes” – 3:54
7. “When It's Gone” – 2:34
8. “Mary Danced With Soldiers” – 3:07
9. “Riding Alone” – 3:09
10. “I'm Sitting on Top of the World” – 3:10
11. “Lovin' on the Side” – 2:57
12. “Lost River” – 3:26
13. “Bayou Jubilee” – 3:01
14. “Blues Berry Hill” – 3:26
15. “Turn of the Century” – 3:39
16. “One Step Over the Line” – 4:30
17. “You Ain't Goin' Nowhere” – 3:53
18. “The Valley Road” – 4:13
19. “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” – 5:39
20. “Amazing Grace” – 1:48

I have never been a country music fan. As a matter of fact, I pretty much detested it when I was much younger mainly due to the country garbage they played on the radio when I was a kid and also the fact that I wasn't mature enough to appreciate its better composers and musicians at that time.Bluegrass, at it's best, is truly awesome music and this second volume of "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" is totally the best country music I have heard. Fiddles, banjos, piano, guitar, upright bass with those simple oohmpa bass lines and drums brilliantly recorded all acoustic, vocal duets,plenty of that cool southern style country singin', some really catchy numbers like  “Don't You Hear Jerusalem Moan” and  “One Step Over the Line”, not to mention an excellent cover of Dylan's “You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" by guests Chris Hillman and Rodger McGuinn.. I just love great quality Male/Female country duet singing like on “Mary Danced With Soldiers”, with Emmylou Harris. A mix  of some traditional tracks with other great covers as well as some very good originals by both the guest contributors and the Dirt band themselves.this album totally deserves the awards and success it received because it is one of the best in it's genre. My rating 5/5.

No comments: