Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Clash - Combat Rock (UK 1982)

An Uncle Roddus Album Review
Classic Albums from my past




Defiantly album of the year for 1982. This one was rockin' our world and annoying our parents on many an occasion. Brought to our attention by TV and radio play of the smash hit "Rock the Casbah", this LP introduced us to other classics like "Know Your Rights", "Should I stay or Should I Go' and of course the pick of the bunch, the slow burning and unusual "Straight to Hell". The first side subtly blends reggae and funk with other elements to produce a very cool and unique musical statement. I detect a bit of a nod to Adam Ant on "Car Jamming" and I just totally love "Straight to Hell" and use it as a great track to appreciate the quality of my stereo system with, due to its sparseness and captivating rhythms. Side Two gets more funky and a bit weirder and I struggled to appreciate it as much when I was 15, but the jazzy horn overlaying the atmospherics on "Sean Flynn" are a highlight and closer listening to this side is bearing hidden fruits. A quick appreciation of this classic record and gets a rating of 4.5/5.

No comments: