Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Devo - Q. Are We Not Men? A. We Are Devo! (USA 1978)

An Uncle Roddus Album Review
Classic albums from my past.





I am having much trouble trying to write this as I listen to this complete Masterpiece of post punk, new wave oddball rockin' music, as my body wants to move violently to these tunes I know so bloody well and the emotions of pure joy at hearing this stuff and finding that I still love it as much now as I did back over 30 years
 ago.  Another extremely unique collection of songs from this idiosyncratic outfit, who first came to my attention in 1980 with their third album "freedom Of Choice" and the hit "Whip It". This album I purchased off a friend of mine who knew I liked it much more than he did and it is probably the most played album I ever owned and was pretty worn by the time I was departed from it, of course I am listening to my CD copy now.
 The album starts off at a frenetic pace with the brilliant punky "Uncontrollable Urge" before hitting the stratosphere with an unbeleivable cover of the Rolling Stones "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", fucking blows the Stones off the planet. The album weirdly rocks along brilliantly until we get shot into the stratosphere again with the utterly fantastic "Joko Homo, which is kinda the title track and starts of kinda jerky in its rhythm before settling down to blow our minds with the indescribable sounds of the finale. Side two is chocked full of   very cool music with its highlights being the two almost conventional sounding tracks in "Gut Feeling..." and "Come Back Jonee" before it gets weird again to finish the album. Quite possibly my no.2 all time favourite album and of course gets a rating of 5+/5

No comments: