Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Friday, May 3, 2013

Blue Oyster Cult - Fire Of Unknown Origin (USA 1981)

New CD Of The Week.



I am not generally a fan of Blue Oyster Cult, mainly because their music fails to move me and the production on their albums is quite tinny. This album still suffers from the same production values but I think this is the best album I have heard from them. The album was one of those records that became familiar with me through the flatmate of a mate I used to hang out with back in the early 80s and this record was often on the turntable during pot and booze sessions at that flat and became popular with our group. It wasn't the type of music I usually listened too back then, so it never actually ended up in my record collection but it did firmly etch itself into my subconscious. A while back I revisited it via a download and found I still enjoyed it enough to want a copy for my CD collection and it duly arrived in the post last week. Labeled the thinking man;s heavy metal band, I think it is a bit lightweight for that but all the songs are catchy well crafted rock songs with synths and other embellishments that make for a great album. Plenty of good guitar, quality lyrics and good melodies gets a Roddus Rating 4.5/5.  

No comments: