Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Monday, May 27, 2013

SPILLANE: John Zorn (USA 1987)

The John Zorn Discography No.13.



This finally arrived in the mail box just over a week ago and I am glad I managed to get hold of a copy. The CD I now have is the original release on Nonesuch, although I had to get a second hand copy as the new ones were way expensive. This was reissued on Zorn's Tzadik label several years ago but it was just "Spillane"  and "Godard" with out the other three tracks that make up this release, which is why I went for this original release, but I is a shame the re-issue is truncated because I have heard "Godard" and it is as good as "Spillane" and would have fit on the end of this original set on CD no problem.
Spillane and Two Lane Highway are Zorn's File Card pieces. Extended themed compositions of blocks of sounds. Lots of different short sound blocks makes for a great headphone experience with "Spillane" containing some great Jazzy shorts interspersed amongst the more avant-garde moments. "Two Lane Highway" was quite a surprise before I read the Liner notes with the instantly recognisable Albert Collins jamming his way through some blistering blues. "Forbidden Fruit" was already familiar to me being on a compilation set I use to have and is also a great cut n paste sounding track. Overall I really am enjoying this collection and some of "Spillane" reminds me of Zorn's previous "Big Gundown " Release. Overall Rating 4.5/5.


No comments: