Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Sunday, April 14, 2013

VA - Next Stop... Soweto Vol 2. Soultown. R&B, Funk & Psyc Sounds From The Townships 1969-1976 (Strut 2010)

Off The Shelf





Oh Yeah, Strut have done it again, as with the other two volumes in this set, Strut records have managed to piece together another absolutely fantastic set of rare South African gems.
This arrived in my mailbox several months ago and after a few initial listens where I didn't feel as impressed as I did with Volumes 1 and 3, it got shelved in favour of other new CD arriving. So I wasn't overly excited when it presented itself for this weeks CD review, but on that first listen, as I was now slightly more familiar with the music, it had a far greater impact on me this time round and it has been a real grooving soundtrack to my after dinner clean-ups and other inside chores. This lot is a lot closer in spirit to the West African Afro funk I love so much. The album is kinda like the "Nuggets" of South Africa, but with less of the garage and more of the funk/jazz and psychedelic tones that sound so bloody good when mixed with native African music, it somewhat reminds be of the later Acid Jazz music from the early 90s. Chock full of wonderful vocal melodies and some utterly fantastic guitar playing, I have just fallen head over heals for this compilation. Highly recommended. Rating 5+/5.

No comments: