Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Black Belles - The Black Belles (USA 2011)

An Uncle Roddus Album Review


Something fresh from this all female quartet who were brought to my attention because I believe one of them played on Jack Whites new album and also this album was released on Jacks Third Man Records. This is a great alt-rock album with an excellent guitar sound and real catchy numbers. Jack's influence is apparent in this music but a better comparison would be the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. A straight ahead rock set without to many additional instrumentations and all the better for it. I haven't connected so enjoyably with a new album like this for quite a while. Loved it from first listen. Stand out tracks are the opener, "Leave You With A letter", Wishing Well" and the excellent "Howl at the Moon", but the whole album rocks and is much more fun than the Queens 60th jubilee concert on the TV at the moment as I listen to this and write this review. This album will be added to my shopping list. Rating 5/5

No comments: