Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Americana (USA 2012)

An Uncle Roddus Album Review


01. Oh Susannah (5:03)
02. Clementine (5:43)
03. Tom Dula (8:14)
04. Gallows Pole (4:15)
05. Get A Job (3:02)
06. Travel On (6:47)
07. High Flyin' Bird (5:30)
08. Jesus' Chariot (She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain) (5:39)
09. This Land Is Your Land (5:27)
10. Wayfarin' Stranger (3:08)
11. God Save The Queen (4:09)

The second CD I purchased last weekend wasn't on my list but I was aware it was coming out sooner or later and so grabbed it when I saw it. Looking at the track list of old time sing-a-long songs that we probably all could sing along to such as "Oh Susannah", "Clementine" "Coming Round The Mountain" and "Tom Dula" doesn't sound all that inviting to my ears and evokes some childhood memories of camp sing songs and even Sunday school. Not particularly fond memories. Neil has taken these songs and given them the Crazyhorse treatment and presented us with some great rockin' adaptations of  these songs that is surprisingly good. Apart from the Lyrics, these songs are barely recognisable and that is a good thing as Neil makes these tracks almost his own. Most enjoyable and far better than "Le Noise", the last disc I brought from him. Rating 4/5.

No comments: