Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Montrose - Montrose (USA 1973)

An Uncle Roddus Album Review



I was gonna include the review for this in my Uncut Take 180 post due to the fact that that issue included an obituary for Ronnie Montrose, who passed away earlier this year. When they talked about the first Montrose album, I had a vague inkling that I had heard of them and that I may even have had one of their albums hidden away on the hard drive. Sure enough, it turns out I have several Montrose albums all posted over at Rare MP3 .com and after hosting this on the Ipod for several days I have to agree that this is one of the best early hard rock albums I have heard. One of the first things that becomes so obvious right from the beginning of the first track is the Van Halen comparisons, and that's not just because Sammy  Hargar is the singer on this set. Ronnie's guitar and the production paved the way for the hard rock scene of the later 70s. The awesome guitar imitation of a souped up sounding vehicle on "Bad Motor Scooter" is classic Eddie Van Halen sounding and The opening riff on the excellent "Space Station #5 sounds very much like the opening riff of a certain Stiff Little Fingers number from several years in the future, before sliding into more Led Zeppelin  territory. You gotta like the lines"I gave love a chance and it shit back in my face..." from the barnstorming "I Don't Want it" which has parallels with ZZ Top from this period. Plenty of shallow good time lyrics here which suit the music well as this ain't about thinkin' but about having a rockin' good time. lots of fun and without any obvious weak songs gets a Roddus rating of 4.5/5

No comments: