Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cephas & Wiggains - Cool Down (USA 1995)

Roddus Album Of The Day


1. Action Man
2. Man Without A Future
3. Screaming And Crying
4. No Ice In My Bourbon
5. The Blues Will Do Your Heart Good
6. Caroline In The Morning
7. Backwater Blues
8. Going To The River
9. Cool Down
10. Special Rider
11. Hard Liquor
12. Nine Pound Hammer
13. Right Of Way Blues
14. Twelve Gates To The City

Even though I got to go tramping today, I still managed to get a listen or 3 to my album for today. but it Will have to be a very quick review.
 Cephas and Wiggins "Cool Down" is another release I brought because it was released on the "Alligator" label and mostly you cant go wrong for quality blues releases from them. This is a very well played and well recorded acoustic blues album with Guitar and Harp and a bit of piano.and other instruments on some tracks. Mostly in the old country style and more the Piedmont than Delta blues that I prefer. A mix of originals and covers of old time blues luminaries such as Fuller, Jefferson, and Skip James among others. Its good to hear this old style of blues recorded on modern equipment to give us a  better understanding of what it sounded like in the flesh, than the scratchy old recordings from the 20s and 30s that we usually hear. These guys really are also following in the footsteps of Sonny Terry and Brownie MaGee. A very laid back sound and great for a Sunday in the hammock with this playing on the stereo.My Rating 3.5/5.
Listen to this Here

No comments: