Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sonny Boy Williamson - Down And Out Blues (USA 1959)

Roddus Album Of The Day


  01. Don't Start Me To Talkin
  02. I Don't Know
  03. All My Love In Vain
  04. Key
  05. Keep It To Yourself 
  06. Dissatisfied
  07. Fattening Frogs For Snakes
  08. Wake Up Baby 
  09. Your Funeral & My Trial 
  10. 99 - (studio)
  11. Cross My Heart
  12. Let Me Explain 
  13. I Don't Know (bonus track) 
  14. Fattening Frogs For Snakes (Outtake) (bonus track) 
  15. Your Imagination (bonus track) 
  16. Let Your Consciousness Be Your Guide (bonus track) 
  17. Trust Me Baby (bonus track) 
  18. Bye Bye Bird (bonus track) 
A good album of classic Chicago blues from the brilliant Chess records catalogue. Harp player Sonny Boy was up there with the other blues giants of Chicago; Waters, Wolf, and Little Walter. This was  his debut album, which seems incredible in today's album orientated markets, consider ring he may have been about 60 years old when he recorded it, but albums were still quite a new thing back then, especially for blues artists.
 A strong album with solid playing and great harp and singing From Sonny Boy, plenty going on within the songs on closer listening but not the strongest blues I have encountered. I enjoyed this album but it didn't truly grip me as much as I was hoping. My Rating 3/5

Listen to this here

No comments: