Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Friday, May 21, 2010

The Wallflower Complexion - The Wallflower Complexion/When I'm Far From You. (USA 1966/1967)

Another Roddus Album Of The Day


1.  Open up your door (2:34)
2.  All it is (2:45)
3.  Empty heart (3:00)
4.  Tell me (3:27)
5.  Chris's B's (3:28)
6.  Blue bells (1:51)
7.  La Bamba (3:03)
8.  From Head To Toe (2:40)
9.  Needles & Pins (2:22)
10. Blue turns to grey (2:29)
11. Long Tall Shorty (2:23)
12. Jack The Ripper (2:18)
13. Santa Marta (2:53)
14. Baby Please Don't Go (2:22)
15. Route 66 (2:26)
16. When I'm Far From You (3:01)
17. Not Fade Away (2:46)
18. El Caiman (2:23)
19. Last time (3:08)
20. Hanky Panky (2:27)
21. Sapphire (3:42)
22. Gloria (2:37)
23. She Belongs To Me (3:20)

 This was gonna  be my album of the day for tomorrow, but as I was  listening to it tonight to start familiarising myself with it I quickly decided that I couldn't be bothered listening to this for a large part of tomorrow while I am working. This version of this bands music looks like it came from the CD reissue of the two ultra rare albums they put out in 66' & 67' and I think I must have found it on this Blog because I cant find it any where else, and I can't find very much info at all about this lot except that they were a teenage garage band and they certainly sound like it. Plenty of pretty poor covers of the songs of the time and very lo-fi. These two albums are impossibly rare and original copy's apparently go for over US$2000 and frankly I'd be very disappointed if I was silly enough  to folk out that much dough for these records. I searched them out for a listen because they were listed in "Record collectors dreams" and the author had rated them very highly musically and the guy at the above highlighted blog link thinks so too. I have heard many far Superior garage bands than this one. Saying that though there are one or three good tracks which would stand up well on a quality 60s Garage compilation, so I will separate them out from the rest of this drivel to  keep them. My Ratting 1.5/5.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These guys were recording in Bogota, Colombia, where equipment and practice areas were hard to come by. They were in high school and played events at the school, around the city (battle-of-the-bands) and private parties for embassy & oil company staff. I agree that some of their cuts are just OK -- but others are fantastic and unique. Example: Santa Marta. -- And I have their 2 original records.

Anonymous said...

Rich Sampson- Drums
Fred Sampson- lead guitar
Pat Sinex- bass
Chris Krys- Guitar
Mark Lusk- vocals
Played parties, discos, once had a battle of the bands with a group called the "Super Beatles" (after their Vox amplifiers. Got a recording contract with a recording company in Bogota in 1966. Mark & Rich graduated from Colegio Nueava Granada in 67 and that was the end of the band. Rich was quite a good artist. Fred went on to be a studio musician and Mark is a university professor. Don't know about Pat or Chris.

Anonymous said...

My dad bought this album when I was in 5th grade at a K-12 school in Bogota. The band members were all in high school and we 11-year-old girls swooned over them. I can't imagine where you ran across this but if it's really worth thousands I'd better see if Dad still has it tucked away somewhere. I think my mom made him dispose of it when we moved as she objected to one of the songs (Sapphire) being played in the house. How times have changed.

Roddus said...

dig it out and stick it on Ebay if you can find it.

Anonymous said...

This album seems to have a permanent spot on eBay, priced at $999. I lived in Bogota back then and went to the school (CNG) and dated one of the guys (last name correctly spelled "Krzys" & pronounced "Chris"). I got an autograph or two at a CNG reunion a few years back. So does that make my album super valuable? Sorry, not selling! Yes, the recording is a bit rough, and the teen hormones add a sort of angst to the music. But they sure pleased the crowds in school and in the city of Bogota! Anonymous from June 12, 2012, I hope you found your dad's album -- and my sympathy to all you swooning 5th graders for your crushes on the guys in the band!