Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hound Dog Taylor And The Houserockers - Hound Dog Taylor And The Houserockers (USA 1971)

Roddus Album Of The Day


1. She's Gone
2. Walking The Ceiling
3. Held My Baby Last Night
4. Taylor's Rock
5. It's Alright
6. Philip's Theme
7. Wild About You Baby
8. I Just Can't Make It
9. It Hurts Me Too
10. 44 Blues
11. Give Me Back My Wig
12. 55th Street Boogie

This wasn't to be my original choice for my latest quick review, but I worked  all weekend and had three albums on the ipod, but haven't really absorbed them enough to do them justice, but this one I know well and use to have it on vinyl many moons ago.
The legendary Hound Dog Taylor, the man and his band that inspired  Bruce Iglauer to start the also legendary Alligator records, just so he could release this record. This raw and dirty blues monster is a must have for any serious blues collector. Think Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup on steroids and George Thorogood with heaps more soul( I stopped listening to George after I first heard this LP). Mostly mid tempo 50s style Chicago amplified blues with Hound Dogs simple ,but excellent guitar style, a real rocking sound, with a few slower numbers for good measure. Some absolute classics included here, such as, "She's Gone", Give Me Back My Wig" , "Taylors Boogie" and 55th Street Boogie".I think I was as blown away by this Debut album by the then 50 something Taylor,when I first heard it over 20 years ago, as was Bruce when he first saw them jamming at Florence’s Lounge on Chicago’s South Side in 1970. My Rating 4.5/5


Listen to this here  Then Buy it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I first heard the Dog in '75 or '76 and to this day can't keep still when I put on one of his lp's.