Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rudimentary Peni - Archaic EP (UK 2004)

Roddus Album Of The Day



1. One And All
2. Suffer
3. In Crematorium Flame
4. Lost
5. Rain
6. Mercy Of Slumber
7. Curse
8. Enlightened Dreamer
9. XN.H.S.
10. Farewell Tomorrow
11. House Of The Void
12. Rehearsal For Mortality

 Not exactly an album this one but an EP, clocking in just over 15 minutes but with 12 songs, so you get very short bursts of sonic intensity . An interesting experience to listen to this band again after all these years and a surprise that they are still releasing music after all those years. I had a vinyl copy of their  1983 "Death Church" LP which I was ecstatic to score from my favorite record store on import way back then. Anarcho-Punk (think Crass, Flux of Pink Indians), I thought wasn't a long lasting branch of the British punk scene  and I am pleasantly surprised that these guys are still producing music of almost exactly the same type as they were 20 years before and even more surprising is that they can still make it interesting. I have been listening to this several times today as well as tonight and it hasn't yet got tiring. Some good riffing on these short tracks and I almost find myself humming  along. Someone once said to me when I was about 19, that I would grow out of this type of music. I am glad to say I have't and even more glad to say neither have Rudimentary Peni. My Rating 3.5/5.

 Listen here

2 comments:

Leo Rattans said...

Thanks for this tip. The first spin was most enjoyable, even if they seem to be joking. Made me think of early Wire and also Napalm Death. Definitely "interesting".

Roddus said...

Leo, old buddie, good to hear from you again, you been quiet lately. Leo you surprise me... I wouldn't have thought that this was up your alley, so good on ya and I now have a more deeper sence of respect for your musical tastes.
I think these guys are pretty serious, but in the old days of Anarcho-punk I feel that the radical politics was all a bit tounge in cheek. Still I laopped it up and it did have a big influence on my thinking.

Cheers
Roddus